Sunday, September 27, 2009

Girls suck.

I'm tired of the face of women's interactions with one another. I'm not talking about us being catty bitches and cutting others down behind their backs. I'm talking about the even more disturbing habit we have of plastering a soppy smile onto our faces and addressing each other with such empty, shallow greetings as "you look fabulous today" or "hey gorgeous". On the surface, it might seem like we're trying to treat others the way we want to to be treated - but do you really want to be showered in fluffy sugary compliments and then scathingly torn apart ten minutes later behind your back? I'd prefer the burn up front than to be patronized first and roasted after. I'm not saying I've never done it - God, I did it last night - but more and more, I've been sickened by this flimsy veneer of solidarity we put up to people we don't even like in the first place. Particularly as modern women, we've been taught that men are out to get us and we need to stick together. This means smiling foppishly at a woman you might genuinely dislike and asking with more than dubious sincerity "when are we going to hang out?". It's not like you dislike this person because she is a woman - we have the right to associate with whomever we choose, and conversely to not associate with whomever as well, regardless of gender. It's sort of a reversed sexism borne from an increasing feminist hysteria about "solidarity". We're taught to identify so much with the idea of what it means to be a modern woman, we're losing sight of what it means to be a human! Humans don't always get along with each other, it happens. So stop smiling at me, or asking me how my day was if you genuinely don't care. Talk about me behind my back - that's your prerogative and I simply do not care. But don't patronize me, to my face, in front of others. All we have in this life is our integrity, and you can compromise it just as easily by being disingenuous as by being a bitch. So just back off, keep your misguided sense of feminist "decency" and stop telling me I look fabulous.



And people ask why I have no friends...pah.

No comments:

Post a Comment